It’s difficult to imagine a greater pillar of health and wellness within a community than a hospital. Because healthcare professionals are considered trusted authorities, hospitals and healthcare systems are held to high patient and consumer expectations when it comes to serving up healthy, yet delicious food options. Increasingly with the millennial generation’s interest in protecting […]
Conscious procurement of products and services that support healthcare sustainability goals, guided by a group of leaders with proven results in their own programs.
When Bill Miller, director of strategic initiatives at HealthTrust’s inSight Advisory Services–Energy, recently called Robert Mulcahy, vice president of facilities, operations and support services at Saint Peter’s University Hospital, the conversation did not go as expected. Miller hoped to help Saint Peter’s procure energy, increase efficiency and decrease costs. Miller asked Mulcahy what he always […]
Inhaled anesthetics are necessary agents in the operating room, yet only about 5 percent of anesthesia gas administered during surgery is actually metabolized by a patient. The other 95 percent is released into a tube as a patient exhales and vented into the atmosphere through a scavenger system. Such waste becomes greenhouse gas, accounting for about […]
NASHVILLE, Tennessee—July 24, 2018—HealthTrust today recognized five member organizations with its highest honor, a Member Recognition Award, during the annual HealthTrust University Conference (HTU). The performance improvement company for healthcare established the Member Recognition program to acknowledge outstanding contributions of members and individuals for achieving operational excellence and demonstrating best practices benefitting healthcare providers and their […]
HealthTrust helps facilities realize benefits in prioritizing hospital waste reduction Facility managers can become easily overwhelmed when tasked with safely reducing facility waste. For starters, implementing sustainability initiatives can look incredibly different given the healthcare facility, the population it serves and the waste stream management protocol that may or may not already be in place. […]
It’s difficult to imagine a day without electronics. Cell phones, tablets, computers, printers and everything in between infuse our personal and professional lives with convenience and productivity. Yet when their disposal is improperly managed, toxic materials in electronics such as lead, nickel, zinc, barium and chromium can endanger air, water and soil. America generates more […]
Polypropylene is a plastic used to make surgical blue wrap. Blue wrap plays a critical role in maintaining the sterility of surgical instruments prior to use in the operating room. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates it accounts for 19 percent of all operating room waste. For hospitals without a sustainability program or formal greening […]
Transitioning a healthcare facility from a presumably chemical-laden, waste-generating environment to a finely tuned green operation can seem overwhelming, especially when cost and reimbursement concerns, and patient safety and satisfaction, continually rank higher on the priority list. Knowing these are the realities of today, The Source asked executives at two of HealthTrust’s member organizations to […]
A growing demand for sustainability strategies is evident in the U.S. healthcare ecosystem, according to a September 2017 survey from Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies (JJMDC). The survey of 92 executives and clinicians at large U.S. health systems found that nine out of 10 clinicians and health system executives agree that sustainability provides long-term […]
Americans throw away nearly 35 billion plastic bottles every year. That’s a staggering statistic, but it’s not surprising: As a whole, the United States goes through roughly 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour. That’s why beverage distribution company Evive Station is trying to keep people and the planet healthy with proper hydration and by eliminating […]
According to a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2009, U.S. healthcare facilities generate an average of 7,000 tons of waste a day—per patient, that’s 26 pounds a day. Healthcare is also responsible for 8 percent of the country’s carbon footprint. While healthcare facilities are expected to improve the overall […]
Third-party reprocessing of single-use medical devices (SUDs) has proven highly effective in reducing medical waste and lowering costs for hospitals. Discover best practices from these reprocessing success stories.